When authenticating to the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client, Duo automatically determines the best approach to request the second factor for authentication based on your enrolled devices.
- If you have previously enrolled a device that enables push notifications (smartphone or tablet), Duo will send you a PUSH Notification requesting approval to the first such device listed in your account.
- If you do not have a device that uses Duo Push, you will receive a phone call requesting approval to the first phone number listed in your account.
- If you wish to use an alternate method, refer to the instructions on how to use Append Mode with the VPN and see the List of 2FA Authentication Options.
Open Cisco AnyConnect VPN on your computer.
Note: If you are on a Mason-owned computer connected to the MESA or Jamf Pro (for Macs), the client should already be installed.
- Windows users can find it in the Start Menu under Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
- Mac users can find it under Go > Applications > Cisco
If you are not on MESA or Jamf Pro, follow the appropriate instructions to the install VPN:
Type your VPN Group URL and click Connect.
Enter your Mason NetID (Note: NetID only; do not include @gmu.edu or @masonlive.gmu.edu) and Patriot Pass Password and click OK.
The device you have enrolled will require you to approve the request.
Note: Duo will attempt to contact you six times if you do not respond.
- Your device will notify you of a Duo Mobile App request or you'll need to open the App.
(Note: Verify on your phone that notifications are turned on for the Duo Mobile App.)
- You will be asked to approve or deny the authentication request.
- Tap Approve on your device to complete the authentication request.
- Your mobile phone or landline phone will ring.
- Follow the phone prompts to authenticate.
Passcode (Duo Mobile App, Yubikey, or Bypass Code)
You will then be logged into Cisco AnyConnect VPN.