During summer 2021, George Mason University student Microsoft services will be migrated from MasonLive to a shared system with current employees on the Office 365 system. This move will enable improved collaboration between faculty, staff, and students and provide additional Microsoft resources, such as Microsoft Teams, as part of the new system.
This change is expected to occur during June 2021.
After that time, MasonLive will no longer be available to current Mason students.
Background and Approach
Bringing students into the same system as employees provides additional services to students, improved collaboration, and eliminates duplicate systems. This helps the university standardize and simplify its service offering and save money by reducing the number of tools supported and currently under contract.
To accomplish this goal, the approach will be to prepare in advance to make the transition as seamless as possible.
- Enrolled over 80% of the student population in Duo, Mason’s Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) solution
- In collaboration with a third-party vendor, completed migration envisioning phase and produced migration recommendations report.
- Tested single account migration in a staging environment
- Conducting an early adopter program to test the migration process
- Finalized technical support workflow and created a new TDX queue to handle technical issues associated with the migration
- Transitioned new student accounts provisioning to Office 365 platform
- Finalized end-user notifications
- Developed migration scheduled, and started migrating new students to the new platform
Next Steps/Current Work
- Continue enrollment of students in 2FA
- Update knowledgebase articles
- Continue migrating students with a single account to Office 365 platform
- Test dual accounts migration in staging environment, complete a pilot program in the production environment, and migrate data from MasonLive to Office 365 accounts
What's Changing- About the Migration
As part of the migration, the following will occur:
- Your Email, Calendar & OneDrive are Migrating
Your MasonLive Outlook (email and calendar) and OneDrive files will be migrated to the Office 365 system
- Where You Access Email is Changing
You will access your Office 365 account from https://mail.gmu.edu (Note: this page will be updated) or http://mso365.gmu.edu
- One Password for Everything
You will use your Patriot Pass Password to access your email– the same as you use for Blackboard, Zoom, Patriot Web, and more
- Two-Factor Authentication Needed to Access Email
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) will be required to access your new account. If you are not enrolled in Mason’s 2FA, you will not be able to access your email after the migration
- No More @masonlive.gmu.edu
Your new account will be <netid>@gmu.edu – no more MasonLive (<netid>@masonlive.gmu.edu)
- All Email Will Auto-Forward
Email sent to your MasonLive account after migration will be delivered to your @gmu.edu account
- Student Employees Will Not Lose Data
If you already have an @gmu.edu account (students who are also employees), your MasonLive information will be copied to your existing @gmu.edu account
- Update Your Devices
You will need to reset your email and other Microsoft applications on your smartphone or computer and log in using your Patriot Pass credentials (NetID & Patriot Pass Password)
How to Prepare
This area will be updated with additional details as they become known throughout the effort.
Enroll in Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Your Office 365 Account will use your Mason Patriot Pass Credentials (just like Zoom, Blackboard, PatriotWeb, and more). You will no longer have a separate password for Microsoft services, and you WILL BE REQUIRED to use 2FA to access your migrated account. Register for 2FA via https://password.gmu.edu when you change your password or directly at https://2fa.gmu.edu.
- How to Enroll in 2FA with a U.S. Phone Number (Smartphone App)
- How to Enroll in 2FA with a U.S. Phone Number (Landline, Office Phone, Mobile Phone)
- How to Use 2FA With Web Apps
Organize and Clean Up Your MasonLive Account
Migration will include email, calendar, and OneDrive files. Review your files, in particular any files you have shared with others from your MasonLive account.
Transition to Microsoft Email Clients
ITS standardized with Microsoft Outlook for the Office 365 email and calendar applications. Access your Mason email via one or more of these supported methods:
- Web Browser—Outlook on the Web (any browser) at http://mso365.gmu.edu
- Desktop Clients—Outlook 2016 or Higher (Windows or Mac)
- Mobile Devices—Outlook Mobile App for Android and Apple iOS
For a detailed list of email clients and their support, see Which operating system should my device be running for 2FA for Office 365?
- 2FA for Office 365 Tips
- Best Practices for Email & Calendar
- How to Set Up Outlook Mobile Email and Calendar for Apple iOS
- How to Set Up Outlook Mobile Email and Calendar for Android
|2FA enrollment via password change|
|Voluntary 2FA enrollment via 2FA account management site|
|Identify & contract with vendor|
|Review current processes with stakeholders|
|Complete project envisioning/planning|
|Develop & test migration|
|Identify accounts to migrate|
|Define & update MasonLive & Office 365 knowledge base articles|
|Complete account migration|
|Transition or close non-migrated accounts|