ITS is migrating the current on-premise file storage and sharing system (MESA/M:Drive) to leverage Microsoft 365 (M365) services available through the Microsoft (MS) A5 license agreement. As a result, this project will migrate file storage and sharing away from the current MESA (M:Drive) system and into the M365 platform.
An engagement with a Microsoft partner will be used to support the migration of enterprise file storage from MESA to M365 services.
Benefits of M365
- Leverages existing Microsoft environment
- Real-time collaboration on documents
- Increased productivity with industry-standard tools
- Enhanced knowledge-sharing with online sharing
- Work anywhere that has an internet connection
- Improved communications that include chat, video conferencing, and online meetings
- Files in the MESA M: drive, within the MyData (individual), and Shared (department) folders
- OneDrive, Microsoft (MS) Teams, and SharePoint for file storage
- Sensitive data
- Discovery of use cases for file storage in M365
- Providing training materials and guides to end users that may be available and appropriate for the service
- Local files on users’ computers
- Rebuilding application connections that currently connect to MESA
- Developing training programs/materials
- Conversion of databases or files into new formats
- File folders on MESA other than the “mydata” and “shared” folders
- Data currently stored outside of MESA
Comparison of MESA and Microsoft 365 Features
|Individual Space||M: Drive (mydata)||OneDrive|
|Departmental Space||Various GB amounts in a shared folder||Space in SharePoint Document Libraries and Teams|
|Accessibility||Need to connect via VPN||Connect from anywhere using Two-Factor Authentication|
|Security||Manage access to shares via the MESA Tools site||Enhanced permissions to sites, folders, and files within M365 (MS Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive)|
|Searchability||Search file name only||Leverage built in MS 365 search capabilities to do advance searches by name, content, and more|
|Better Collaboration||Integrates with Microsoft 365 ecosystem|
|Workflows||Manual process||Automatic tracking of a document's lifecycle|
|Versioning||No versioning||The previous version is not lost once it’s been deleted or overwritten; Users can restore a previous version of a document|
Discovery and Design: May-August 2023
Migration and Implementation: September 2023-April 2024
What to Expect
How to prepare
Review And Clean Up Your Data
Determine which files need to be migrated and which can be left behind. As you assess your data, you should review the Retention Guides and information provided by the Office of Records Management for records retention policy requirements.
Highly Sensitive Data (HSD)
Work with ITSO if you have HSD
Access and use of HSD are restricted to those needing access for required business purposes. You must request approval if you believe you have a legitimate reason to use or store HSD on university-approved applications. Review the information on Highly Sensitive Data to learn more about
What is HSD?
- Data that could lead to identity theft or exposure of personal health information if exposed
- Data that has been identified by a researcher, funding agency, or research partner as requiring a high level of security protection.