A mapping and analytics platform with data sharing functionality. Geographic Information System (GIS) for working with maps and geographic information. It is used for: creating and using maps; compiling geographic data; analyzing mapped information; sharing and discovering geographic information; using maps and geographic information in a range of applications, and managing geographic information in a database.
Varies by application
Education Institution Agreement
License Effective Dates
7/01/21 through 6/30/22
ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro, and ArcGIS Desktop. Pro and Desktop are for Windows only. Mac computers wishing to run these versions must do so through BootCamp, Parallels, or VMware.
Faculty, Staff, and Student use permitted
How to Access
ArcGIS Pro and Desktop are available in the following technology labs:
- Computer Labs
- Johnson Center, Room 342
- Innovation Hall, Room 301
- Fenwick Library, Room 2701 (DiSC Lab)
- Arlington: Van Metre Building, Room 211
- Science and Technology: Katherine G. Johnson Hall, Room 250
- This software is available online in the Citrix Virtual Lab.
ArcGIS Online is a cloud-based mapping and analysis solution. Use it to make maps, analyze data, and to share and collaborate. ArcGIS Online contains a subset of the tools available within the desktop clients.
- Available to all Mason Employees and Students
- All users will be assigned the GIS Professional Role by default
- All users receive 1,000 credits, normally enough for all academic uses
- ArcGIS Pro is available to download using this account
How to Create an ArcGIS Online Account
- Review the Permitted Uses documentation (PDF).
- Go to ArcGIS Online and select Sign In in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select the down arrow next to Your ArcGIS organization's URL.
- Enter mygmu to complete the URL mygmu.maps.arcgis.com and select Continue.
- Select George Mason University and log in using your NetID and password.
ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Desktop, and ArcGIS Installation Help
- How to Access Citrix Virtual Lab to use ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop
- ArcGIS Pro Installation Handout (PDF)
- ArcGIS Desktop Installation (PDF)
- ArcGIS Enterprise: Submit a request for help to ITS
Training and Resources
ITS may provide these software applications via Software Center, JAMF, or other end-point management systems. ITS staff may assist users in installing the application for supported operating systems. ITS staff have not necessarily received training on the application and do not support the functional operation of the application, but will refer users to self-support sites, Mason instructors, vendors, or departmental support when known.
The Digital Scholarship Center in the University Libraries provides some support for this and other research software by email, individual consultations, and/or in workshops. Visit their software guides or website for additional information or email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about assistance.
- Look for answers in the ESRI Knowledge Base first.
- Students should reach out to their professor, department graduate or learning assistants, or classmates for help. Alternatively, they can use ArcGIS desktop products that are already installed on Citrix.
- After reviewing the ESRI Knowledge Base, faculty and staff can contact Na Liu for support.