Mason's wireless (Wi-Fi) networks are designed to complement wired network services and provide convenient and secure access to network resources and the internet. ITS provides Wi-Fi network access in all academic, administrative, residential, recreational, and dining spaces across the university. Please contact the ITS Support Center to report concerns about Wi-Fi coverage or access, and ITS will engage with you to resolve the issue. Wi-Fi networks are available to faculty, staff, and students, their sponsored guests, and members of the eduroam federation.
Mason offers three Wi-Fi networks to the university community:
- MASON-SECURE is an encrypted Wi-Fi network open to faculty, staff, and students only. This network uses 802.1x for authentication and authorization. ITS recommends that all faculty, staff, and student devices that support 802.1x be configured to join this network.
- MASON is an unencrypted Wi-Fi network for registered devices and captive portal authentication. This network is targeted to visitors and guests but is open to the entire Mason community. Via device registration, it supports faculty, staff, and student devices that cannot use 802.1x.
- eduroam is an encrypted Wi-Fi network open to members of the eduroam federation. This network uses 802.1x for authentication and authorization. This network is targeted to eduroam visitors and guests but is open to the entire Mason community.
For better security and the most feature-rich experience at Mason and beyond, ITS recommends everyone configure their devices for 802.1x authentication. As an alternative to 802.1x authentication, faculty, staff, students may register up to five devices for network access. While any device can be registered, ITS recommends this only for devices that cannot use 802.1x authentication, such as wireless printers, robotics systems, and game consoles.
- Secure access to network resources and the internet
- Available in all academic, administrative, residential, recreational, and dining spaces across the university
- Members of eduroam federation that allows access while at other universities
Getting This Service
Visitors and guests may also register for access. See Guest Network Access for more information.
This service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages, normal maintenance windows, and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are Sundays from 7 to 11 a.m. but may be extended to 2 p.m., if needed. If maintenance is required outside of these hours, it will be announced on the Alerts & Bulletins page.
All users of the George Mason University network must adhere to the following policies: