- As of December 2022, ALL existing contact centers have successfully transitioned to the Vonage Call Center (VCC)
- As of February 2023, data validation from telecom coordinators was completed
- In January 2023, two new call centers were added: Transportation (Parking Services) and Mason & Partners (MAPS)
- Innovation Hall was successfully migrated to Vonage
- Refine rollout process after Innovation has been migrated
- Build the schedule for UCaaS rollout
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the project team at email@example.com.
- CCaaS (Contact Center as a Service) (COMPLETE)
- UCaaS (Unified Communications as a Service) for faculty/staff
- The new system will be implemented one building at a time
- eFAX service – Migrate GMU fax machines
- Retire legacy Contact Center and PBX systems
- Student phones
- Mason mobile devices
- Police Dispatch System (Project 821)
- Replacement of Pinnacle System
- Mason Korea Campus
What to Expect & How to Prepare
- The new Vonage softphone software is available for download onto your devices. ITS recommends you bring a headset or headphones with a microphone to use as needed for calls. To learn more, see Mason Phones and User Guides.
- All Avaya desk phones will be disconnected and replaced with Vonage desk phones if requested. If you have not done so, please connect with your Telecom Coordinator about your desk phone replacement. To find your contact, see Telecom Coordinators.
- Once the installation has begun, it is recommended to use your Vonage softphone until the change is complete, as your Avaya desk phone will be unavailable. During this time, you may lose remote or VPN connectivity while the desk phone is being replaced.
- Five-digit dialing will not be supported until all Mason users are transferred to Vonage. When placing calls, enter all ten digits of the phone number (I.e., Dial 7039938870 instead of 38870). Dialing 9 is no longer necessary for external calls.
- You will receive notifications from ITS on when your building installation is starting and expected to be complete.
Expand All Collapse All
Building Implementation Schedule
- May: Innovation, Aquia
- June: Hazel Hall, Van Meter Hall
- July: Vernon Smith Hall
- August: TBD
- September: TBD
- October: TBD
- November: TBD
- December: TBD
|Vonage Contract Signed|
|Contact Center Delivery|
|Go Live (Current CCs)|
|Onboard New Contact Centers|
|UCaaS Data Gathering|
Background and Approach
Mason’s current telephone system is end-of-life, and with a workforce increasingly dispersed, the new solution delivers advanced features (e.g., mobile applications, ring/accept calls on any device, presence awareness) and integrates into Mason’s tools (e.g., Office 365).
Mason executed a rigorous Request for Proposal (RFP) process to select a replacement provider for telecommunications. More than 100 stakeholders across Mason participated in the selection process and review the proposals from nearly 40 vendors.
Chosen Vendor: Vonage
Vonage was selected due to:
- Quality of their proposed products
- User-friendly solutions
- Integration capabilities with key tools used by Mason
- Strong customer service as reported by references
- Lower cost
- New 5-year contract with options to extend to 5 additional years
Vonage UCaaS Solution - Benefits
- Vonage will provide a hosted enterprise-class communications platform, known as Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS), to replace the current PBX system for faculty and staff
- The new system includes:
- Basic and advanced telephony features, including
- Mobile applications – accessible from anywhere
- Ring /Accept Calls on any device
- Presence awareness
- Integrations into Mason’s business productivity tools (Office 365 Email, Microsoft Teams (MS Teams)
- eFAX service to replace fax machines
Vonage CCaaS Solution - Benefits
- Vonage will provide a new cloud-based Contact Center as a Service (CCaaS) solution, including:
- Enhanced call center experience
- Integration of SMS/Text, chat, video
- Caller ID shielding
- Mobile application – accessible from anywhere
- Integration into Mason applications (Microsoft Teams (MS Teams), Salesforce Support)
Frequently Asked Questions
Expand All Collapse All
Can I use my Nortel/Avaya phone?
Am I required to have a desk phone?
Will our conference room phones be replaced?
Will classroom/lab phones be replaced?
How can I get a headset to use with the softphone?
ITS recommends the following headsets: (Available on Mason Dell and CDWG Sites)
What is the cost of the new Yealink desk phones?
Will I keep my phone number?
I currently have voicemail-to-email setup, can I keep this feature in the new Vonage system?
Will this include the “Vonage Business” app that can be used on computers?
Will staff currently using a Teams softphone be moved over to Vonage during the transition?
Is the user status pulled from Outlook/Teams, or will it have to be manually updated in the Vonage application as well?
What is the process for acquiring a phone line for new hires (including softphone only or physical phone).
- If a new phone number is required, it will be a Vonage number, once the infrastructure is set up.
- If the new hire is taking an existing phone # in their department, they will be issued a number from the current system.