2020, what a year it’s been. Over the last 12 months, we spent an exorbitant amount of time using and learning new technology, mostly to transition our work, social, and personal lives online. We incorporated face masks into our wardrobes, binged a lot of Netflix, did everything in sweatpants, and started at-home workout routines.
Somehow, we’ve survived what has felt like a million trips around the sun. So, give yourself a round of applause, Mason Nation – we did it! The wild ride of 2020 has officially come to a close. As we approach the new year, remember to treat yourself with kindness and take time for self-care (because you deserve it!) Disconnect to combat technology fatigue, get outside to take a walk, make your favorite home-cooked meal, and call (or Zoom!) your loved ones.
To keep you safe and secure over the holiday, here are a few reminders from ITS:
- Make sure applications and operating systems on all devices are up-to-date before leaving on December 18. Taking these precautions will ensure the latest security patches and fixes are applied, and it is more difficult for cybercriminals to compromise accounts.
- Telecommuting employees should logoff systems they are not using, and employees in the office should shut off systems and printers.
- Unexpected emails requiring urgent action from people unknown to the recipient are usually phishing emails. Suspicious emails will have links to click on, request employees’ usernames and passwords, or ask for money. Mason representatives will never send an email requesting a user’s name or password, and neither will any reputable companies or organizations. Report suspected phishing emails to the ITS Support Center.
- Do not respond to emails from companies offering retirement and pension services to Mason employees. The companies are targeting public employees inviting them set up meetings to discuss their retirement benefits. Mason employees who need information about their retirement benefits should contact Mason’s Human Resources and Payroll.
- If you receive a new device during the holiday, visit Connecting New Devices to ensure the best use of them at Mason.
- In observance of Winter Break, the ITS Support Center will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, December 18, 2020, and will re-open and resume normal business hours on Monday, January 4, 2021, at 8 a.m. If you have an emergency while the ITS Support Center is closed, please call 703-993-8870 and listen to the prompts to be connected to a representative.
From all of us here in ITS, we hope you have a restful and secure holiday season.