The most wonderful time of the year has finally arrived, and with it, holiday cheer (and perhaps some presents by the tree)! Some of the most popular gifted items onChristmas morning are new smartphones, tablets, and electronic devices. Receiving these items off your wish list is exciting, and Information Technology Services (ITS) wants to ensure the greatest use of them at Mason.
Connect to Mason’s Network
When you’re back from break, we’ve taken the guess work out of getting all your new devices connected:
- Connect on Apple IOS: Go to the settings app and tap Wi-Fi. From there, choose MASON-SECURE as your network, enter your NetID credentials, and accept the certificate.
- Connect on Android: Select settings on your device and tap Wi-Fi. Ensuring that wi-fi is enabled, choose MASON-SECURE as your network. Do not validate the CA Certificate, and only enter your NetID credentials.
- Connect gaming consoles and Smart TVs: Connect your devices to the residential network. Students can register up to five devices.
Add Your Mason Email Accounts
- ITS provides instructions for adding your Mason Office 365 email account to Android and Apple mobile devices.
- To add your MasonLive account to a mobile device, visit Microsoft’s set up wizard for instructions. When configuring the account, you’ll need your full MasonLive email address and MasonLive Microsoft password.
Stay Protected with Two-Factor Authentication
ITS has implemented Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for all employees (optional for students), which provides a high level of security to login processes. This means that in order to access certain websites like Patriot Web, 2FA is required.
To support in the transition to spring semester, here’s a quick guide for enrolling all of your new technology in 2FA after the holiday:
- Enroll a new smartphone: You’ll need to re-download the Duo Mobile app on your new device and replace your previous device by visiting 2faaccount.gmu.edu to manage your current devices.
- Enroll additional devices: Visit 2faacount.gmu.edu and complete the second-factor authentication with your previously enrolled device. From the Management Options page, select the type of device you are trying to enroll, and follow the prompts to add the device.
- Reorder devices: Visit 2fa.gmu.edu and choose the login option. Complete the second-factor authentication, and select option 4 on the Management Options page. Use the arrows to reorder your devices, making sure that the device associated with the Duo Mobile app is listed first.
(P.S. 2FA isn’t just for Mason websites and applications! It can also be used as an extra security measure for other accounts. Duo Mobile works with Google, Twitter, Facebook, and Amazon to keep all of your accounts protected in one app.)
If you run into any trouble connecting your devices in the new year, the ITS Support Center is available to assist you. Walk-up support is available in Innovation Hall, Room 226 or reach Support Center at 703-993-8870 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
From all of us in ITS, we hope you have a wonderful, restful, and secure break.