The Qualtrics survey tool is available for use by Mason faculty, staff, and students in support of the university's educational mission and organizational goals. By using Qualtrics you are agreeing to adhere to the following:
- No High-Risk Confidential Information
University policies prohibit the use of Qualtrics for "Highly Sensitive Data," or HSD. For a definition of HSD, see Highly Sensitive Data.
- Human Subject Research Must Be Approved by an IRB
In accordance with federal regulations and Mason University policies, all research involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved by an Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to any research intervention with a participant. Please visit the website for the Office of the Vice Provost for Research for more information. You are responsible for ensuring compliance with federal regulations and Mason research policies.
- Protecting Privacy
All surveys must protect the privacy and confidentiality of student, employee, and other institutional information, as required by FERPA (privacy of student information), appropriate state laws, and Mason policies. Although a closed group of participants may complete Qualtrics surveys without the individuals explicitly having to identify themselves, the Qualtrics software stores identifying information in its databases. Consequently, Qualtrics cannot be used with absolute guarantees of anonymity for your participants.
- Embargoed Countries
The use of this product by anyone while physically in an embargoed country is forbidden. A student from an embargoed country may still use the software if they are not physically in that country.
- Compliance with all other Laws and Policies
Surveys must comply with all other applicable university policies and state and federal laws, including the federal laws for copyright and privacy.
- Use is restricted to academic or research purposes. Services may only be used by students, staff or faculty of George Mason University. Commercial use of the Services is prohibited and includes, without limitation, use of the Services on behalf of other institutions or entities for compensation.
- Unsolicited mass communication may not be delivered in conjunction with the survey service
- Survey participants should be informed that their survey data will be stored on a third-party server and that, while the third party has agreed to keep the data confidential, Mason does not control the security of that server.
I understand that The Mason Qualtrics survey tool may not be used to store or process Highly Sensitive Data (HSD) as defined by Highly Sensitive Data. I understand that all uses of the Mason Qualtrics tool for human subject research must be approved by my IRB, and that I should consult with the Office of Research Computing for more information.
Failure to comply with the described data protection requirements and university policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Students may be subject to disciplinary action defined by the university's Code of Student Conduct.
The surveys created or the responses supplied using the survey service do not in any way constitute official Mason content. The views and opinions expressed are strictly those of the survey’s authors. The contents of the surveys and responses have not been reviewed or approved by Mason.