Kaltura Capture offers users the ability to record both the active computer screen and live camera at the same time. It also includes a new automatic slide detection feature—if a user has a PowerPoint presentation in presenter mode when recording the screen, Kaltura Capture automatically detects and captures it, allowing the viewer to search and browse by slide. System Requirements.
Kaltura Capture How-to Video
- Log in to Blackboard. Go to Tools on the left, and then select the Kaltura MyMedia link.
- Select Add New then select Kaltura Capture from the drop-down menu.
- Download either Mac or Win versions and follow the install prompts.
- After installing, follow Step 2 (above) again. This links your Blackboard account with Kaltura. After this, you can now open Kaltura Capture directly from your computer going forward.
Launch the Application
Mac Users: You may need to give permission to record your screen. Go to your Mac System Preferences>Security/Privacy>Privacy. On the left side go to these three areas - Cam/Mic/Screen Record - and give permission to Kaltura Capture.
By default, all recording inputs are configured to the optimal quality available, so you can start recording. If you would like to change the default input settings, camera, screen or audio, please see the article Kaltura Personal Capture Recording Options for information on how to modify the default recording inputs.
Create a Recording
- Choose what you want to record (screen, webcam, audio).
- Select the red button to start recording.
- You will see a 3-second count down, and then your recording will start.
- When the recording begins, the duration of your recording is displayed in the Recording Menu.
The Recording Menu
- Start Recording: Command(⌘)/Control(CTRL)+Shift+R
- Stop Recording : Command(⌘)/Control(CTRL)l+Shift+S
- Cancel Recording: Command(⌘)/Control(CTRL)+Shift+C
- Clear all Notifications: Command(⌘)/Control(CTRL)+Shift+E
- Go to Management: Command(⌘)/Control(CTRL)+Shift+M
Completing and Uploading Your Recording
Note: Editing your recording (trimming beginning and end, and clipping) is only available in your My Media space online once the recording has been uploaded. It cannot be edited via Kaltura Capture before uploading.
If you save a recording without uploading it, the Management window shows all recordings completed on your computer. You can choose to Delete or Upload recordings from this screen. You can also Re-upload recordings from this screen.
Find Recordings on Your Computer
While it is unlikely you will need to access the recording files, all recordings are stored locally on your computer.
- Right click on the Kaltura Capture icon on the desktop.
- Select Properties.
- Click on 'Open File Location' and go up one folder to the 'Capture' folder.
Orsimply go to: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Kaltura\Capture\
- Go to the Finder.
- From the Go menu, select Go to Folder.
- In the form, enter ~/Library/Preferences/Kaltura/Capture/
- Click Go.
Or simply go to: /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Kaltura/Capture/
The location of the files also appears in the program's settings page.