The actions listed below should be taken by all computer users, even if you do not have highly sensitive data stored on your computer.
- Activate a password-protected screensaver
- Use Strong Passwords for all of your accounts
- Automatically receive critical updates
- Use antivirus software and verify proper configuration
- Back up files As needed
- Never open Suspicious Emails or Attachments
- Use SSL or https for online transactions
- Reformat hard drive if owner changes
- Use secure shell, https, VPN, or other encrypted client portals for transferring files
- Follow Best Email Practices
- Browse safely
- Use a modern and secure operating system, such as Windows 10, or Mac OSX 10.13 (High Sierra) or later
If you need assistance implementing these steps, contact the ITS Support Center.
Last modified: September 6, 2018