Web hosting allows for publishing websites. Mason offers free, secure, and reliable web hosting to individuals, departments, and organizations within the Mason community.
- Distinct servers are available based on the requester, site purpose, and the tools and software required for design, file upload, etc. For a complete list of servers, visit Servers: Overview.
- Web hosting is available to any George Mason University faculty, staff, student, student organization, college, department, and other university units.
- Mason provides 20 MB for personal web space on mason.gmu.edu.
- Student organizations that are officially recognized by the Office of Student Involvement can request a directory on the www.gmu.edu server.
Getting This Service
Student organizations, colleges, departments, and other university units can request a directory using forms found on Web Development at George Mason University. If directory ownership, group membership, or permissions changes are required, send an email with as much information as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal web space is available with a NetID and is located at mason.gmu.edu/~[NetID]. More information about personal web space is available at mason.gmu.edu.
For instructions on setting up a personal page, visit Setting Up a Mason Web Site: Personal Pages.
Uploading web pages can be handled through Secure Shell, Dreamweaver, or other applications. Review the how-to guides on Web Development at George Mason University for more information.
This service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages, normal maintenance windows, and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are Sundays from 7 to 11 a.m. but may be extended to 2 p.m., if needed. If maintenance is required outside of these hours, it will be announced on the Alerts & Bulletins page.
All users of the George Mason University network must adhere to University Policy Number 1301: Responsible Use of Computing.
The general policies associated with Jiju, the Mason Home Page Server, are defined in the Mason Home Page Server Web Hosting Service Level Agreement (SLA).
The following web utilities are available for download:
- NVU, a complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop, Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users
- Brackets HTML & CSS Editor, a modern, open source text editor that understands web design
- Cyberduck, a libre server and cloud storage browser for Mac and Windows with support for FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3, OpenStack Swift, Backblaze B2, Microsoft Azure & OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox.
The following browsers are available for download: