STAR Lab offers Mac and PC stations equipped with specialized video and film, multimedia, and game design software. This facility also has a variety of video production equipment available for checkout, as well as a video production studio. Student mentors with specialized knowledge of operating systems and applications are on hand to assist with troubleshooting.
High-end video production equipment is available for check out through the STAR Lab. The following tools are available to rent:
- Video cameras: Canon XA-10, Canon C100 and C100 Mark II, Panasonic GH4, Sony A7s Mii, Sony FS-700 and BlackMagic Cinema Camera 2.5K
- Audio recorders and field mixers: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-100 and DR-05, Zoom H6n, and Azden FMX-42a
- Microphones: Wired and wireless lavaliers, dynamic and condenser microphones
- Tripods, shoulder rigs, sliders
- Audio kits equipped with headphones, a dynamic or condenser mic and a wired lavalier
- Light kits: LED and tungsten
Getting This Service
- To reserve equipment, click Reserve Equipment and log in with your NetID and Patriot Pass Password. Please bring your university-issued ID as proof of university affiliation.
- Computer stations are reserved in three-hour time slots while equipment may be checked out for up to six hours per day by students, staff, and faculty.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late your appointment will be forfeited.
- All students, faculty, and staff can use the lab and checkout basic video production equipment; some specialized equipment may require more authorizations.
- Some specialized equipment is only available to students within specific majors or students who have taken certain classes.
- While reservations are not required, please keep in mind that during peak seasons or when time is critical to the completion of your project, you should plan accordingly by reserving the equipment you need.
- Reservations can be made up to 2 weeks in advance.
All users of the George Mason University network must adhere to University Policy Number 1301: Responsible Use of Computing.
- Borrowers accept responsibility for safe, timely, and undamaged return of the equipment they have checked out. They will also be responsible for the replacement and/or repair of damaged equipment.
- Delinquent equipment will be charged a late fee of $5.00/hour the first day, as well as an additional $5.00 for each instance the equipment has been kept overnight without prior authorization. Unpaid fines will result in a hold on the borrower's academic records and/or university account. Account holds preclude students from registering for classes or graduating.
- Failure to return equipment may result in action by the Dean of Students or the University Police. Borrowers will be responsible for any legal fees and costs associated with such action.