Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus software is available for all university-owned systems.
- Antivirus and antispyware detection: Antivirus and antispyware scans detect viruses and other security risks, including spyware, adware, and other files, that can put a computer or a network at risk.
- Personal firewall: The Symantec Endpoint Protection firewall provides a barrier between the computer and the Internet, preventing unauthorized users from accessing the computers and networks. It detects possible hacker attacks, protects personal information, and eliminates unwanted sources of network traffic.
- Comprehensive malware and intrusion prevention: The Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) is the Symantec Endpoint Protection client's second layer of defense after the firewall. The intrusion prevention system is a network-based system. If a known attack is detected, one or more intrusion prevention technologies can automatically block it.
- Proactive threat scanning: Proactive threat scanning uses heuristics to detect unknown threats. Heuristic process scanning analyzes the behavior of an application or process to determine if it exhibits characteristics of threats, such as Trojan horses, worms, or keyloggers. This type of protection is sometimes referred to as zero-day protection.
- Kernel-level rootkit protection: Symantec Endpoint Protection expands rootkit protection to detect and repair kernel-level rootkits. Rootkits are programs that hide from a computer's operating system and can be used for malicious purposes.
- Enhanced Live Update: LiveUpdate now supports the downloading and installation of a wide variety of content, including definitions, signatures, and whitelists to prevent false positives, engines, security patches for client vulnerabilities, and product updates.
Getting This Service
Users connected to MESA will automatically be upgraded to new versions with minimal impact.
Users not connected to MESA will need to submit a service request.
New systems and rebuilt university-owned systems come with the current version of Symantec Endpoint Protection already installed.
Note to All Users
The first time you open Firefox and Internet Explorer (IE) after installing Symantec Endpoint Protection 14, you will be asked to allow or deny IPS add-ons. Make sure you click ALLOW.
Please contact the IT Security Office for additional information.
This service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages, normal maintenance windows, and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are Sundays from 7 to 11 a.m. but may be extended to 2 p.m., if needed. If maintenance is required outside of these hours, it will be announced on the Alerts & Bulletins page.
Students and employees are encouraged to continue using antivirus software to protect their personally owned computers. Mason recommends these free options:
- For Windows: Avast, AVG, Sophos, Microsoft Windows Defender
- For Mac: Avast, AVG, Sophos