STAR is a state-of-the-art multimedia computer and equipment checkout facility that provides the space and resources to complete creative projects. STAR Lab offers Mac and PC stations equipped with specialized video and film, multimedia, and game design software. This facility also has a variety of video production equipment available for checkout, as well as a video production studio. Student mentors with specialized knowledge of operating systems and applications are on hand to assist with troubleshooting.
- Video editing: Edit, create, and export videos using STAR Lab video editing stations available for post-production work.
- STAR Lab Studio: A small production studio space is available for students, faculty, and staff to complete video production projects.
- Equipment Checkout: High-end video production equipment is available for check out through the STAR Lab. The following tools are available to rent:
Getting This Service
- To reserve a computer, click Reserve Lab Space and log in with your NetID and Patriot Pass Password.
- Please bring your university-issued ID as proof of university affiliation.
- Computer stations are reserved in three-hour time slots while equipment may be checked out for up to six hours per day by students, staff, and faculty.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late your appointment will be forfeited.
- Reservations can be made up to 2 weeks in advance.
- All students, faculty, and staff can use the lab and check out basic video production equipment; some specialized equipment may require additional authorizations.
- While reservations are not required, please be aware that during peak seasons or when time is critical to the completion of your project, you should plan accordingly by reserving the equipment or the computer station you need.
All users of the George Mason University network must adhere to University Policy Number 1301: Responsible Use of Computing.
- Borrowers accept responsibility for safe, timely, and undamaged return of the equipment they have checked out. They will also be responsible for the replacement and/or repair of damaged equipment.
- Borrowers will be charged a late fee of $5.00/hour for delinquent equipment, as well as an additional $5.00 for each instance the equipment has been kept overnight without prior authorization. Unpaid fines will result in a hold on the borrower's academic records and/or university account. Account holds preclude students from registering for classes or graduating.
- Failure to return equipment may result in action by the Dean of Students or the University Police. Borrowers will be responsible for any legal fees and costs associated with such action.
- No food or uncovered drinks are allowed at the workstations.