Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom web browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard/Courses. Instructors can choose to require the Respondus LockDown browser for any existing deployed test in their course. When a student uses Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another website, or access other applications on their computer. When an assessment is started, students are locked into the test until submitted for grading.
Respondus Monitor is an additional option that records webcam audio and video of the student taking the test. This ensures student identity and that the instructor's requirements such as a closed book or working alone are followed. By default, Respondus Monitor will record both video and ambient sound. Instructors can review the video after the test is complete.
- The Respondus Lockdown Browser application is a separate browser that instructors may require to take a test in Blackboard. If the test in Blackboard states, "Requires Respondus LockDown Browser," the test cannot be taken using a standard browser such as Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or Microsoft Edge.
- Once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor, students cannot exit until Submit is clicked.
- To utilize Respondus Monitor, students must have access to both a computer and a functional webcam.
Getting This Service
Students using their own computer must download the Respondus LockDown Browser from myMason. Instructions can be found in the Respondus Tools module located in the Courses tab on the myMason website.
Students taking a test in the Testing Center do not need to download theRespondus LockDown Browser as it is already installed. Instructors must make separate arrangements to use the Testing Center.
All users of the George Mason University network must adhere to University Policy Number 1301: Responsible Use of Computing.
Join the Blackboard & Instructional Technologies Collective
The Blackboard & Instructional Technologies Collective is a team for Mason's faculty and staff instructional technology users to communicate with their peers and discuss new features, best practices, and other topics of interest pertaining to the following ITS-supported tools: Blackboard, Kaltura, Poll Everywhere. This is not intended to replace submitting an issue via the ITS Support Center. The collective is moderated by members of the Mason community and ITS.
Submit an ITS support request if:
- It is something that requires an urgent/timely ITS response
- You are requesting information or troubleshooting assistance
Post in one of the channels if:
- You would like to share a use case or feature you’ve found helpful
- You would like to test out a new feature with your peers
- You would like to know how your peers are using the tools
To become a member of the Blackboard & Instructional Technologies Collective, go to https://go.gmu.edu/bbteams.