Office 365 is the university's email and calendar system for faculty and staff. It is fully supported by the ITS Support Center and can be accessed via the login at mail.gmu.edu by using your Mason credentials (Mason NetID and Patriot Pass Password) and Two-Factor Authentication (2FA).
Office 365 email accounts contain the @gmu.edu domain name.
Data within the Office 365 system is not backed up by George Mason University. Account-holders are responsible for backing up their own data and preserving copies of important messages and attachments.
Office 365 is a Cloud-based system that is available from any Internet-enabled computer or mobile device and provides 50 GB storage, reliability, antivirus, and anti-spam features.
Getting This Service
An email and calendar account is automatically established for each employee when hired by the university.
- 2FA Enrollment: To use Office 365 at Mason, you must be enrolled in Duo Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
- 2FA and Office 365: To learn more about using 2FA and Office 365, see Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for Office 365
- Compatibility and Support: Microsoft Outlook is the supported email client for web browsers, desktop clients, and mobile devices. Outlook provides a consistent, supported user experience and supports Microsoft’s modern authentication requirement
Email Client Support
ITS standardized with Microsoft Outlook for the Office 365 email and calendar applications. Access your Mason email via one or more of these supported methods:
- Web Browser—Outlook on the Web (any browser) at http://mso365.gmu.edu
- Desktop Clients—Outlook 2016 or Higher (Windows or Mac)
- Mobile Devices—Outlook Mobile App for Android and Apple iOS
For a detailed list of email clients and their support, see Which operating system should my device be running?
This service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages, normal maintenance windows, and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are Sundays from 7 to 11 a.m. but may be extended to 2 p.m., if needed. If maintenance is required outside of these hours, it will be announced on the Alerts & Bulletins page.