Office 365 is the university's email and calendar system for faculty and staff. It is fully supported by the ITS Support Center and can be accessed via the login at mail.gmu.edu by using your Mason credentials (Mason NetID and Patriot Pass Password) and Two-Factor Authentication (2FA). Using 2FA adds an additional layer of security to all applications in employee Office 365 accounts including email, calendar, OneDrive for Business, and more. It also enables users to qualify for advanced services that are part of the Office 365 suite as they become available.
Office 365 email accounts contain the @gmu.edu domain name.
Data within the Office 365 system is not backed up by George Mason University. Account-holders are responsible for backing up their own data and preserving copies of important messages and attachments.
Office 365 is a Cloud-based system that is available from any internet-enabled computer or mobile device and provides 50 GB storage, reliability, antivirus, and anti-spam features.
Getting This Service
Email and calendar are part of your Office 365 Account. Office 365 accounts are automatically established for each employee when hired by the university. When you stop working at George Mason University, you will no longer be able to access your Office 365 employee account.
Note: Students, Retirees, and Generic Accounts are not eligible for this service.
- 2FA Enrollment: To use Office 365 at Mason, you must be enrolled in Duo Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
- 2FA and Office 365: To learn more about using 2FA and Office 365, see 2FA for Office 365 Tips
- Compatibility and Support: Microsoft Outlook is the supported email client for web browsers, desktop clients, and mobile devices. Outlook provides a consistent, supported user experience and supports Microsoft’s modern authentication requirement
Email Client Support
ITS standardized with Microsoft Outlook for the Office 365 email and calendar applications. Access your Mason email via one or more of these supported methods:
- Web Browser—Outlook on the Web (any browser) at http://mso365.gmu.edu
- Desktop Clients—Outlook 2016 or Higher (Windows or Mac)
- Mobile Devices—Outlook Mobile App for Android and Apple iOS
For a detailed list of email clients and their support, see Which operating system should my device be running?
This service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages, normal maintenance windows, and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are Sundays from 7 to 11 a.m. but may be extended to 2 p.m., if needed. If maintenance is required outside of these hours, it will be announced on the Alerts & Bulletins page.
Users of Office 365 are responsible for all activity on their accounts, including password resets and abuse, and must adhere to University Policy Number 1301: Responsible Use of Computing.
Employees must also adhere to:
- University Policy Number 2202: Flexible Work
- Virginia Information Technologies Agency’s (VITA) Information Technology Standard Use of Non-Commonwealth Computing Devices to Telework
Employee Security Bulletin
This service is intended for work-related public use data only. The university Data Stewardship Policy defines data classified for public use. Users are responsible for understanding and complying with this policy. For more information about data usage and classifications, reference the following: