The MicroStrategy platform supports interactive dashboards, scorecards, highly formatted reports, ad hoc query, thresholds and alerts, and automated report distribution. The application helps to analyze internal and external data in order to make informed business decisions.
Getting This Service
To gain or change access to MicroStrategy, you must follow the same process as requesting access to Banner. Please follow the procedures on the Banner Access website. The first step is to contact the Banner Liaison for your department and fill-out a Banner Administrative Systems Account Request form, which should include the following:
- Data Mart Access Section
- Identify data marts needed for access (e.g., Finance, Human Resources, Admissions, etc.).
- Notes Section
- If possible, please specify to mimic an existing Mason NetID for similar access (i.e., mimic access similar to jdoe).
- If the individual is a Principal Investigator (PI), please indicate such in the notes section.
MicroStrategy Login (Effective June 25, 2019)
- Wired/MASON-SECURE Wi-Fi Networks: User accessing MicroStrategy from a computer connected to Mason's wired network (except Mason Korea) or the MASON-SECURE Wi-Fi may log in to MicroStrategy directly.
- Remote/Other Wi-Fi Networks: Users accessing MicroStrategy from off-campus or while connected to another Wi-Fi network (not MASON-SECURE) will be required to use Mason’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) with Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) before you can log in to MicroStrategy.
- If you are already a VPN user, log in to Cisco AnyConnect Client with your Mason NetID and Patriot Pass Password. Once connected, visit the MicroStrategy site to log in with your NetID and Patriot Pass Password.
- If you need VPN access, see the instructions on Virtual Private Network (VPN) to download the Cisco AnyConnect client from the Related Downloads box on this page. Once you have the client installed, with your NetID and Patriot Pass Password, log in to the VPN and then MicroStrategy.
Mason is currently running MicroStrategy version 2020.
MicroStrategy will work best with the latest version of the following web browsers:
- Apple Safari
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
Note: Web users will be timed out after 30 minutes idle time.
The Data Warehouse and MicroStrategy are available, in general, seven days a week, 365 days a year, 8:00 a.m.–10:00 p.m. EST.
Systems will be unavailable during the following weekly maintenance windows:
- Every day 8:00 p.m.–8:15 p.m.
- Saturdays 7:00 a.m.–7:15 a.m.
- Sundays 7:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Users can submit a request for assistance 24 x 7. However, the BI Group is only available for support 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Data Mart Refresh Statuses
View near real-time data mart load statuses. You will need to log in with your Mason e-mail username/password before the report will be displayed.
- Data Mart Loads: Fresh data is loaded each day:
- Overnight 12:05 a.m.–7:00 a.m.
- The Finance Data Mart is also refreshed at noon
- MicroStrategy is available during refresh windows, but some data may be incomplete or performance may be slow
- Security Scripts: These scripts automatically create user accounts and assign permissions to users based on database permissions
- Overnight 8:30 p.m.–4:00 a.m.
Note: If maintenance is required outside of these hours, it will be announced on the Alerts & Bulletins page.
Mason has many options available for MicroStrategy training: in-person training and business process training, as well as a multitude of quick guides for specific purposes. Information on these training options can be found on the Business Intelligence's Training & Workshops page.
The Academic Data Mart contains sensitive and confidential information protected by FERPA and/or University policy. It is designed to provide unofficial data to authorized university employees for internal departmental use in support of their academic and administrative duties. Unauthorized use of this system and its material is strictly forbidden and may constitute a violation of state and/or federal law.
Data obtained from the Academic Data Mart may not be disclosed or used for reasons other than specifically set forth in your position responsibilities. The data cannot be shared with anybody outside of the university. Persons not adhering to FERPA and university policies (shown below) regarding protecting sensitive and confidential information will be subject to disciplinary measures, up to and including termination. If you are unclear about your responsibilities when obtaining data from MicroStrategy, contact the FERPA Compliance Specialist for more details.
All MicroStrategy users must adhere to the following Mason policies: