The Blackboard app offers a native environment to access your course content; however, some features can be limited depending on the mobile device being used. The mobile app is not a replacement for a computer browser but it is a way to access and view your course content on the go.
The following features will not function properly and should only be used in a full browser on a computer. Students will not be able to:
- participate in groups, blogs, and journals
- take some tests, quizzes, or surveys
- format text or upload files in discussions
- Activity Stream: See an up-to-the-minute list of important course activity including new content, announcements, and grades. The activity stream automatically prioritizes the items to help you focus on the tasks that you want to take care of right away. Your activity stream lets you know when new course content, assignments, and tests are available and when work is due.
- Assignments: Receive notifications on your mobile device when new grades are posted or to remind you about upcoming and past due tests. Complete and submit assignments on the go by entering text on your mobile device or by uploading files from Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive. Blackboard App even allows you to upload photos from your mobile device.
- Discussions: Swipe right to access Discussions and engage with fellow students. You can view available Discussion Boards in your course and start new threads or reply to other students. You might see a link to discussions on the Course Content screen in the app, which will display the desktop web browser view. For the best experience in the Blackboard app, we recommend you access discussions by swiping right to use the app's built-in discussion tool.
- Grades: View a list of all courses for available terms and get a summary of each course including upcoming assignments, announcements, discussions, and more.
- Collaborate: The Blackboard app includes Blackboard Collaborate with the Ultra experience—a synchronous web conferencing solution for high-quality virtual classes and meetings. Instructors can share files and video while interacting with the class. You don't have to install anything extra to join a session.
- Tests: You can take tests and submit assignments in the Blackboard app. Any test that includes compatible question types (Multiple Choice, True/False, Either/Or, Short Answer, or Essay) can be taken from within the Blackboard App interface. If a test contains question types that are not mobile compatible, you will be directed to a browser view of the test. It's best to take these types of tests on a web browser instead of the app.