Cisco Webex service offerings are being phased out at Mason to provide a more streamlined set of services. Alternate solutions are available including Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Blackboard Collaborate. Webex services will be shut down on May 31, 2021.
Background and Approach
Phasing out Webex helps the university standardize and simplify its service offering and save money by reducing the number of tools supported and currently under contract.
To accomplish this goal, the approach will be to reduce usage over time and remove accounts as users stop using Webex tools.
- Closed 88% of Webex Accounts; 1900 accounts remain active as of December
- Notified/Reminded remaining users with active meeting host accounts about retirement and moving to alternate tools for meetings moving forward
- Reduced Webex Meeting usage by 75% from high in April 2020; approximately 5.5% of online meetings/classes now use Webex vs. 40% in April
- Removed Webex Training and Events licenses; only 3 future sessions remain scheduled
- Halted creation or reactivation of Webex hosts accounts
Next Steps/Current Work
- Complete retirement of Webex Training and Events (End of January 2021)
- Notify those who have not hosted a meeting in more than 60 days that their accounts will be closed; note, accounts are NOT needed to participate in meetings (Early February)
- Provide an updated report of usage to technical points of contact in academic and administrative units detailing who is still using Webex that can be used for direct outreach (Early February - after start of Spring 2021 classes)
How to Prepare
A Webex login is only required to HOST a meeting. You do NOT need an account to participate in Webex meetings.
If You Are Currently Using:
|Try this alternative:||Things to note:|
Join the Collaboration Collective
If you're looking to learn more about alternative tools, the Collaboration Collective is a team for faculty and staff collaboration technology users to communicate with their peers and discuss new features, best practices, and other topics of interest. Become a member of the Collaboration Collective by logging in to Microsoft Teams, click Join or create a Team and search for Collaboration Collective or use Join a team with a code and enter code: pifyqb4.
|Develop and Publish|
|Deactivate accounts not used in 120+ days|
|Deactivate host accounts not used in 60+ days|
|Limited creation/reactivation of accounts|
|Test and publish Zoom Classroom Alternative|
|Develop Webex Teams Transition Plan|
|Transition Events and Training to Zoom|
|Remove Webex Training and Event Licenses|
|Transition from Webex Meetings to other options|
|Transition from Webex Teams to MS Teams|