Cisco Webex service offerings are being phased out at Mason to provide a more streamlined set of services. Alternate solutions are available including Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Blackboard Collaborate. Webex services will be shut down on May 31, 2021.
Background and Approach
Phasing out Webex helps the university standardize and simplify its service offering and save money by reducing the number of tools supported and currently under contract.
To accomplish this goal, the approach will be to reduce usage over time and remove accounts as users stop using Webex tools.
- Effective 6/1/2021, ALL Webex Host accounts are closed and Webex Meetings is retired
- Effective 6/1/2021, approximately 500 Webex TEAMS accounts remain active; nearly 18,000 accounts have been closed
- Communicated directly with impacted users
- Halted creation or reactivation of Webex hosts accounts effective January 4, 2021
Next Steps/Current Work
- Retire remaining Webex TEAMS accounts effective 10/1/2021 - after Student Office 365 Migration is complete and Fall 2021 Blackout period ends
How to Prepare
A Webex login is only required to HOST a meeting. You do NOT need an account to participate in Webex meetings.
Webex Support Updates Spring 2021
Effective February 1, 2021: Limited ITS Support for Webex software
- Assist with transition from Webex to alternate supported products
- Account access and management
Effective June 1, 2021: End of ITS Support for Webex software
If You Are Currently Using:
|Try this alternative:||Things to note:|
Join the Collaboration Collective
If you're looking to learn more about alternative tools, the Collaboration Collective is a team for Mason's collaboration technology users to communicate with their peers and discuss new features, best practices, and other topics of interest. Become a member of the Collaboration Collective by logging into Microsoft Teams, click Join or create a Team and search for Collaboration Collective or use Join a team with a code and enter code: pifyqb4.
|Develop and Publish|
|Deactivate accounts not used in 120+ days|
|Deactivate host accounts not used in 60+ days|
|Limited creation/reactivation of accounts|
|Test and publish Zoom Classroom Alternative|
|Develop Webex Teams Transition Plan|
|Transition Events and Training to Zoom|
|Remove Webex Training and Event Licenses|
|Transition from Webex Meetings to other options|
|Transition from Webex Teams to MS Teams|