Chrome or Firefox are the recommended browsers, and only browsers that supports screen sharing and managing breakout rooms. Other browser require Flash to be installed. See Blackboard's information on recommended browsers.
How to Get Started
In your Blackboard course menu, click Tools and then Blackboard Collaborate Ultra. Just click Join Room to begin!
Users must have a myMason profile image before adding/editing an image in Collaborate Ultra.
See the Blackboard Profile and Privacy Settings article for instructions on how to set up your profile image.
A separate recording is created each time you start and stop recording during a sessions. The recordings live in your Blackboard Course or Organization, in the Collaborate Ultra tool—click the Menu button and change to Recordings.
- If you don't see your recordings, change Show Recent Recordings to Show Recordings in a Range.
- In order to allow recordings to be downloaded, go back to the session settings and check the Allow Recording Downloads option.
- Recordings are in mp4 format and can take up to one hour to display in Blackboard after the recording ends.
- Chat from the sessions is available by clicking the purple tab at the bottom right of the recording.
- Instructors can change the name of the recording by clicking the options icon to the far right of the recording name.
Use the guest access link to allow anyone (no login/Mason NetID required) to attend your session. Instructors may wish to use guest access to allow students from multiple sections/courses to meet online in one room.
Next to the course room or a scheduled session, click the more button and then choose either Get guest link or Edit settings to view and copy the guest link. Choose if guests will be participants or have a role with additional privileges. Send users the guest link via email or post in Blackboard.
The guest access link is an easy way to access sessions via the Blackboard Student app.
Group Work/Student Rooms
Faculty often wish to give students access to a Collaborate room in which the students have full access to share content. This is now a feature in Blackboard's group tool. In a course, go to Control Panel > Users and Groups > Groups. Each group will have access to a Collaborate room.
If you want to give the students the ability to record, change that option under Tool Availability when setting up the group. Recordings are only visible to students in the group and the instructor. Students cannot get a link to, download, or re-name the recording; however instructors can view the recording via the group's Collaborate page and can get a guest link to share with the rest of the class if needed (see above).