Feedback Box provides a simple text box in Blackboard courses for students to submit anonymous feedback to their instructor. Instructors receive a daily email alerting them to new feedback, and can optionally reply back to the student.
Here is what students will see:
Instructors click the same link as students, but see a dashboard of comments and can optionally reply. Students would see replies in the tool.
Direct students to click on Tools in your Blackboard course menu, and choose Anonymous Feedback. The instructor should prompt students via an email or announcement in class what topic the feedback should be about.
Optionally, you can create a link in the Course Menu for easier access.
Click the + icon on the top left corner of the course menu and select Tool link.
Next to type, open the drop-down menu and select Anonymous Feedback (Feedback Box).
The default name will generate in the Name field. Choose a name that describes the purpose of the tool within the course.
Check the box next to Available to Users so that students can access the link.
Click the Submit button to save your changes.
This simple tool may increase classroom engagement and shed light on ways to increase student success. Feedback Box is based on research that shows end-of-semester course evaluations tend to improve after students have had the chance to give intermittent feedback. This feedback is only available to the instructor. This format lends to productive, positive submissions, as students know they are writing a private message rather than a public post.
Below are the details of the functionality of Feedback Box, the anonymous feedback tool built in the LTI protocol which plugs into a Learning Management System (LMS) and allows students to give instructors anonymous feedback throughout the semester. The following are detailed below:
- Data management
- Reliability metrics.
Upon logging into Blackboard and selecting a course, the student will see a new Feedback link in the left-hand column. Selecting Feedback will take the student to the Feedback Box application in Blackboard. The student will see a text box where they can write feedback (1,000 character plain-text limit), as well as Submit and Cancel buttons. If the student’s message reaches 1,000 characters, they will see a message that they have reached the 1,000 character limit.
After submitting the comment, the student will be taken to a confirmation screen informing him/her that the feedback has been sent. A Back button will take the student back to the text box to submit additional feedback.
To prevent spamming from a student to an instructor, feedback to 10 submissions total per student per day. If a student attempts to submit an 11th piece of feedback, they will receive a popup telling them they’ve reached their maximum feedback submissions per day and must wait to leave additional feedback.
Each piece of feedback is in a row with a checkbox to the left.
- The Instructor will see 20 feedback messages per screen. Feedback is paginated so the Instructor can see feedback left earlier in the semester.
- The Instructor will see a one-line preview of each feedback message and the date added.
- Unread feedback will be bolded.
- Clicking the feedback preview will take the admin to a screen where they can read the entire message.
- The Instructor can download the semester’s feedback to a CSV file.
- The Instructor can reply to student feedback while still maintaining the anonymity of the student.
- The Instructor can Report Abuse for a feedback submission, after which the student who left the feedback submission will no longer be able to submit feedback for that course.
- The Instructor can customize email preferences to receive alerts on new feedback submissions immediately, weekly, or never.
Instructors will receive an email once per day on days in which they have received anonymous feedback. The email will not contain the feedback but will alert the Instructor that there is new feedback to view.
Note: In order to activate email notifications, one of two things must happen:
- Instructors click the “Feedback” link on Blackboard one time in each of their courses (this is how we receive their email address).
- University provides Feedback Box with restricted API access which lets us know the instructors’ email addresses automatically.
> Download Feedback Box Offering.