Archiving a course allows the instructor to make an exact copy or a permanent record of the course including all the content, user interactions, and grades at the time of the copy. You must save and maintain the archive file on your own computer or backup medium (cloud storage, external hard drive, MESA, flash drive, etc.).
Keep in mind:
- While the archive is in progress, do not make any changes to the course. Please wait until the confirmation email has been received and the completion has been confirmed.
- The archive package should not be unzipped or edited as doing so will corrupt the archive file.
- The archive file is only designed to be reused in a new Blackboard site, and cannot be accessed on your computer.
Additional options are also available to save your Blackboard content:
- Save a copy of the Grade Center as a spreadsheet.
- Export the course. Export is similar to an archive but it only includes instructor created content. It excludes all student content such as grades, assignment submissions, discussions, etc. Follow instructions below except choose Export instead of Archive. An export zip file can be imported into another course by the instructor.
- Course Copy. Copy the course into a more recent course or request a sandbox course where you can copy the content into.
From the Control Panel, select Packages and Utilities > Export/Archive Course
Select the Archive Course button. (The Export Package option will save only instructor uploaded/created content, but no student records.)
Select the check box in the Select Copy Options area if you would like to include Grade Center History (a record of grade changes).
In the File Attachments area, Mason recommends choosing both second options to ensure all content is included in the archives.
Click the Submit button. You will see the Success message across the top.
You will receive an email to your Mason account once the Archive .zip file is ready. This may take up to an hour for large courses.
Downloading the Archive file: From the same Export/Archive Course page, click on the archive .zip file name (you may need to click the Refresh button to see the file).
Find a location you would like to save your file and save the file.
WARNING: Archive .zip files will automatically be removed from your course after 30 days. You must download them before this time period.
The archive .zip file can only be uploaded back to Blackboard by a System Administrator. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to restore or retrieve information from the course.
Mac Safari users: We recommend you use an alternate browser to download the archive .zip file, as Safari unzips files by default.