Archiving a course allows the instructor to make an exact copy or a permanent record of the course including all the content, user interactions, and grades at the time of the copy. You must save and maintain the archive (zip) file on your own computer or backup medium (cloud storage, external hard drive, MESA, flash drive, etc.).
Exporting a course is similar to an archive but it only includes instructor created content. An export zip file can be imported into another Blackboard course by the instructor (or shared with other instructors). It excludes all student content such as grades, assignment submissions, discussions, etc.
Keep in mind:
- While the export/archive is in progress, do not make any changes to the course. Please wait until the confirmation email has been received and the completion has been confirmed.
- The export/archive zip file is only designed to be reused in a Blackboard site, and cannot be accessed on your computer.
Additional options are also available to save your Blackboard content:
- Save a copy of the Grade Center as a spreadsheet.
- Course Copy. Copy the course into a more recent course or request a sandbox course where you can copy the content into.
- Download all of the files uploaded to the course by the instructor(s). In the course, under Course Management, click Content Collection, then the first sub-men item (the Course ID/CRN number). Check left box next to some or all items and choose Download Package.
From the Control Panel, select Packages and Utilities > Export/Archive Course
Select either the Export Course or Archive Course button.
Note: The Export Package option will save only instructor uploaded/created content, but no student records.
For archives, optionally elect the check box if you would like to include Grade Center History (a record of all grade changes).
In the File Attachments area, Mason recommends choosing both second options to ensure all content is included in the archives.
For Export, choose "Select All" or specifically choose just parts of the course to export.
Click the Submit button. You will see the Success message across the top.
You will receive an email to your Mason account once the .zip file is ready. This may take up to an hour for large courses.
Downloading the file: From the same Export/Archive Course page, click on the export/archive .zip file name (you may need to click the Refresh button to see the file). Mac Safari users: We recommend you use an alternate browser to download the archive .zip file, as Safari unzips files by default.
Find a location you would like to save your file and save the file.
Using the Export/Archive file in the future
The archive .zip file can only be uploaded back to Blackboard by ITS Support. The export zip file can be uploaded into any Blackboard course (similar to a Course Copy) by going into a course, and under Course Management choose Packages and Utilities > Import Package / View Logs. Click the Import Package link and upload the zip file.