Adding Piazza to Blackboard
Piazza is a free online gathering place where students can ask, answer, and explore, under the guidance of their instructors. Students, as well as instructors, can answer questions, fueling a healthy, collaborative discussion.
While not affiliated or supported by Blackboard or Mason, instructors are finding Piazza an interesting alternative to the native discussion board in Blackboard. Piazza classes can now be integrated into Blackboard course sites.
The major features of the integration are all about convenience:
- Instructors can create a Piazza for their class with a single click.
- Students and instructors are automatically enrolled with appropriate roles, based on the Blackboard course roster.
- When clicking the Piazza link in Blackboard, users are automatically signed in to Piazza, so there's no need to remember a separate user name and password.
Make Piazza available in your course.
In the Control Panel, choose Customization, then Tool Availability.
On the Tool Availability page, check off the box (if not already checked) next to Piazza and Submit.
Add the Piazza link to your course menu.
- Click the plus icon on the top left corner of the course menu and select Tool Link.
- Next to type, open the drop-down menu and select Piazza.
- Enter a name (Piazza) and check the box next to Available to Users.
- Click the Submit button to save your changes.
Click the Piazza link in your course menu to activate Piazza for your course.
NOTE: Students will not be able to access Piazza until you complete this step.
You will not need to register/invite students to Piazza. Students will access Piazza directly from Blackboard, which will automatically register them for your Piazza.