- Use the application:
- When prompted, use the application to join a meeting instead of the browser.
- The Zoom and Microsoft Teams desktop applications are available for download on Mason-managed computers. If you are not on a Mason-managed computer, please download and install the applications from the respective vendors’ websites: Microsoft (Teams) and Zoom.
- Use a headset. This will help minimize background noise and deliver clear audio.
- When you are not speaking, mute your microphone.
- If you are the host, keeping guests muted cuts down on interruptions.
- In Microsoft Teams, mute participants (you may also prevent unmuting).
- In Zoom, mute your participants upon entry (or individually).
- Avoid speaking over each other. When you want to speak, utilize the “Raise hand” icon.
- Have your documents open and ready to share. Select the application instead of your screen so your other computer notifications are not shared.
- If you are going to speak frequently, please disable or mute notifications completely on your device.
- Connect through the application
- If there are audio or video issues:
- Turn off your video
- Microsoft Teams: Stop incoming video to you. In your call controls (microphone icon, camera icon, etc.) go to the (…) More actions and choose Stop Incoming Video.
- Zoom: Have everyone turn off their video.
- Change your audio source from using your computer for microphone and speakers to your traditional cell phone or landline.
- Microsoft Teams: In your call controls (microphone icon, camera icon, etc.) go to the (…) More actions and choose Call me. Enter a number where you may be reached.
- Zoom: In your call controls, Click on the up arrow/caret (^) next to your microphone. Choose Switch to Phone Audio. Call a number on the screen, entering Meeting ID/Participant ID/Passcode as appropriate. The Participant ID ensures your call is connected to your name and camera.
- Turn off your video
- Connect via ethernet whenever possible.
- Move closer to your wireless access point.
- Make sure your network is not overloaded with multiple devices. Streaming TV and movies are bandwidth-intensive
- Make sure your application is up-to-date.
If you have gone through these steps and still experience issues, contact the ITS Support Center.
Last modified: September 13, 2023